ARCHIVES - 2009 Pre-WSOP Report

OK, back by popular demand. I’m again documenting my experiences at the WSOP in Las Vegas, NV. There are some new readers, so to catch everyone up, this is my 4th run at the $10,000 Main Event. All have been a blast and great experiences. The first two resulted in making it into the money with a 548th finish in 2006 and a 455th finish in 2007. Last year, not so good as I busted out late in Day 2. However, I had my best first day ever, more than doubling my starting chips. Anyway, none of that matters now as everybody starts with a fresh slate and a new stack for 2009.

Speaking of the 2009 WSOP, there are some interesting changes to the format this year. First of all, instead of 20,000 chips, everyone is starting with 30,000 chips. In 2006, you got 10,000 in chips for your $10,000. In 2007, they upped it to 20,000 chips – but essentially just doubled the blinds/antes – making it a trivial increase. This year it’s up to 30,000 chips, but no real change in the blinds. This makes a HUGE difference. The stack sizes are now even that much more monstrous compared to the tiny early blinds. Each level of blinds lasts a full two hours, too, so lots and lots of play. Also this year, they’re playing only 4 total rounds the first day. Back in 2006, they played 6 rounds and we didn’t end Day 1 until about 3:30 am. After that, it was 5 rounds ending at a more manageable 1:00 am or so. Now, only 4 rounds that will end before 11 pm. Not exactly sure why they made this change. With the bigger stacks and the significant drop in 1st day levels, the bubble (the point where people get into the money) won’t likely happen until late in Day 4 at the earliest – instead of Day 3 as it has in the recent past. Gee, now if I make it into the money, I’ll have to postpone my flight back – Oh, well! That would be a good problem to have.

So, I recently just finished my annual walk-through of the Rio completing my registration for my first day tomorrow. The massive Amazon Room at the Rio is again packed wall-to-wall with poker tables. As usual, it is an amazing sight to see. Numbers are down quite a bit this year. Day 1 had 1116 entries. 873 for Day 2 and 1697 for Day 3. They say Day 4 may be the largest of the four, so we’ll wait for the final numbers to come in. 6844 played in 2008. 6358 in 2007. The biggest field so far was 8773 in 2007. The official entry number won’t be available until later tomorrow – but it will certainly take a dip.

Anyway, tomorrow I’ll be at table 4 seat 3 in the Amazon Blue room for the big event to kick off at 12 Noon. We’ll start with 30,000 chips and blinds of 50 and 100. Each level lasts 2 hours with 20 minute breaks in between – and a 2 hour dinner break. Should I survive, my Day 2 won’t be until Wednesday, July 8th. To follow some of the action, there are usually posts/blogs on worldseriesofpoker.com, pokerpages.com, among several others. Final chip counts are usually on worldseriesofpoker.com the following morning – hope I’m listed!

Anyway, just another glimpse of what it’s like here at the World Series. When I describe it to non-poker players, I still equate it to playing in the Super Bowl or baseball World Series. Not only are you at the event, but you’re on the field! It’s great.

The last few years I’ve at least had two or three days worth of E-mail updates to friends and family describing the action. Like last year, I wanted to get this preliminary E-mail out to ensure that I get at least two updates in the mail this year. My next E-mail might be very short and full of bad news and an early exit. But hey, you never know!

Thanks for listening.

Jeff Weil

No comments:

Post a Comment