ARCHIVES - 2009 Day 3

Day 3: July 9, 2009

So I finally moved to a different table. I was at table Red 128, Seat 3 and ready to go. I had a slightly below average stack of 80,000 and got off to a very slow start. Blinds were 600/1200 with a 200 ante so just a couple of laps took their toll. I had a tough loss when my AQ lost to AK with an A on the turn. I lost when AJ didn’t improve over a pair of tens. I had a pair of 7s that lost to a pair of 5s when a 5 hit the turn. All-in-all, my stack dwindled quickly to about 46,000 by the first break.

The 2nd round of the day started a little better. I had aces in the small blind and won a small pot. I was able to squeeze (reraising over a prior raise and call) from the button with KQ suited. Things came to a head though a few hands later. With about 45,000 in chips, I got tens in late position. The monster stack at our table raised to 4500 under the gun and I called. We both saw a 4 6 7 flop with two spades. He checked and raised my 5000 bet all in. I didn’t have a whole lot of chips left, and decided to call. Sure enough, he had pocket 7s himself and had flopped a set. So I was way behind and in serious jeopardy. I got an 8 on the turn giving me some chances of a lucky survival – a 5 and he and I both have a straight to the 8, a 9 and I have a straight to the 10, or a miracle 10 for my set. The river blanked though and it was over. It would have been tough for me to find a fold there with the overpair. This guy could really have pushed me in with a spade draw or even a hand like a pair of 5s with his straight chances – so I was kind of stuck. Oh well, it was a pretty good run. There were about 1500 left as I bowed out of the WSOP Main Event - 2009 edition.

To console myself, I played some craps at Casino Royale (20x odds) and took them for $800. I also played a very juicy 5/10 NL ring game at the Rio where an aggressive Euro dumped/bluffed about $2000 into my lap over a period of about 90 minutes. So all of that certainly softened the blow. My friend (Sean Lew for those tracking progress on line) is still alive and headed into Day 4. He has 295,000 chips (avg is about 240,000). 810 are left and they’ll play down into the money (top 648) tomorrow. I have 10% of his win if he makes it in, so I may still come out OK! I wish him well.

I hope I didn’t bore you to death with all the details – but your feedback is usually positive. I certainly wish I had better news to report from Day 3. Getting knocked out of the WSOP is always very disappointing.

UPDATE: My friend Sean, however, finally had a good run. He played well into Day 5 finishing 269th and earning $32,963. The two of us have played in four consecutive WSOPs and between us have finished in the money in three of them. Not bad. Would be nice to both finish in the money and go deep in 2010!

So, until next year ….

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment